Fabrication Class 6 – Mounting Motors
* Elements I used to construct my mobile:
Sheet Metal (3×3 LINCANE AL Sheet-VENITIAN BR), gluegun, 2 wooden rods, fishing line, a wooden box, tincase, 30 rpm motor)
First, I bought sheet Metal from home depot. Then I cut the sheet metal into pieces using metal cutters. After that I glued the pieces of sheet metal that I cut together to form a structure. I ran fishing line through the sheet metal structures to connect them. I passed the line through a wooden rod that had a hole drilled into it and tied a knot at the end so that it could hang from the rod.
I drilled a fixed motor onto a piece of wood. Then I placed it inside of a box. I chose a 30 rpm motor because I felt the slow movement of this motor worked perfectly for my design. I drilled a hole through the wooden box containing the motor.Then I drilled 2 holes through a tin can, and a metal cube I constructed using the sheet metal I had bought from Home Depot. I placed a second wooden rod through the cube and the can, and through the hole drilled into the wooden box connecting it to the motor
Fabrication Class 5 – Materials
This week, I tried to create a container that holds 14 quarters for the purpose of doing laundry.
I wanted to make the quarter container using a chair leg from Home Depot because this shape was appealing to me. So I cut several parts and measured the height and width of a 14 quarters, and then I used those measurement to hollow out the wooden leg.
I bought a soft mat that looks like rubber which is using for an art stamp (it is easy to carve with graver). The reason why I used this material is to protect it from water because I usually put my quarters in my bathroom on the shelves. so I wanted to attach this waterproof mat under the wood with glue.
Fabrication Class 4- Enclosures
I created an arduino enclosure with wood, acrylic, and standoff. I bought a wood box at the Containerstore where there are fabulous items to buy. I thought I could change with a new idea. I put an Arduino and bread board in a square box. I used a digital caliper to determine the locations to drill two holes in the side of the box. I made a prototype with cardboard including a cover.
Then, I printed a design in a acrylic material and secured standoffs.
Next, I drilled in to the wood box to make two holes which can connect with one for the arduino and one for the computer.
Fabrication Class3 – Acrylic
Photographer – EunSung Jeon
While I was thinking about the laser cutting assignment, last week, I met Eunsung Jeon who is a photographer and visual artist based in New York. She creates abstract images from natural figures in photographs.
She has a project called Naissance series, and in the project, she captures organic patterns to convey human figures, flowers, that are in the womb. Here photographs have a natural tendency to amplify the cycle of life itself.
I was curious about how to convey her image with a laser cutter. She gave me permission to use her photos. So I got some printed photos from her and layered them with acrylic. In the Illustrator, I traced her images and cut those out with a laser cutter. My first attempt failed because I thought the acrylic color would not match with the photos. So, I changed to transparent acrylic and made simple shapes using the laser cutter. I glued each of them.
Fabrication Class 2 – Make multiples of something, 5 or more.
I Originally, wanted to make organizers with legs. This is because, I really have no utility boxes to put small things in like pencils, erasers, and painting tubes. So I went to a container store to find out how they sell small sizes of organizers. They were usually thin, light, and acrylic, for cosmetics. But they were designed to have no legs, so I decided to make Organizers which have a similar design.
Here is the process.
I bought extremely thin wood similar to the acrylic cases from the container store. I know that they wouldn’t be strong, but I just wanted to make really light weight wood cases.
I measured the sizes and cut 10 pieces of wooden foundation, 30 pieces of small sized wood, and 50 sticks which are meant to support the separators. I sanded the edges of each piece of wood, to smooth them out.
I brushed the wood with glue then I attached the pieces on. Finally, I clamped them so the glue would fix well.
These are the completed boxes.